cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject [RT] The environment abstraction, part II
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:05:10 GMT
I suggested that we should ditch our environment abstraction and replace
it with the javax.servlet.http set of interfaces, as one step in
simplifying Cocoon in
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113432388200001&r=1&w=2.

The result of the discussion was that there are some "extras" in our
interfaces compared to the http servlet interfaces that are needed in
the sitemap, so we would get back incompatibility and maybe other
problems and it might be much work to accomplish.

Now I would instead suggest that our environment interfaces just extends
the corresponding Servlet 2.3 (or 2.4) interfaces, Request extends
HttpServletRequest etc. This should not create any problems with the
current code base at all AFAICS, and would make it easier to make Cocoon
cooperate with other systems.

Calling Cocoon from a Servlet environment is currently not a problem as
we have wrappers, but it gets inconvenient to call servlets from  within
Cocoon. And the block architecture is Servlet based for making
integration and development of new controllers easier and the result
more reusable. As the block protocol requires the sitemap to call back
the block architecture it would be an advantage if we used the servlet
set of interfaces.

Also for being able to use the CLI with blocks it need to be able to
call the block architecture, and here it would also be an advantage if
our environment interfaces extended the servlet ones.

I'd like to implement the above change ASAP, WDYT?

/Daniel