cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [blocks] Changing component strategy
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:28:01 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

<snip/>
> So what I want instead is the kind of mechanism that you implemented
> for the component management in the ECM OSGi services bridge.
>
> My current view is that the declarative services manager in  OSGi R4,
> already have good solutions for component handling in a blocks context.
>
> So I think it would be a waste of time to try to invent something
> conceptually different for Cocoon blocks. We should IMO keep our
> architecture as similar to the OSGi ones as possible.
>
> That will also make it simpler to migrate to OSGi. And we will have a
> much easier time to reuse work and patterns from Eclipse, Felix and
> other communities that build on OSGi.

I totally and wholeheartedly agree with what you say.

>> In that scenario, application blocks depend on a block implementing
>> the "skin" contract, and the implementation chooses the actual skin
>> block to be used depending on some condition (user, time, host,
>> whatever). That means we'll have 3 implementations of the "skin"
>> block interface in the system, and possibly have several different
>> instances of the e.g. "myCorporateSkin" block with different
>> configurations (color, stylesheets, etc).
>
> A skin block is basically a factory, and a wiring is an instruction to
> ask the factory for a component, give it its deploy time configuration
> and a unique id and to register the differently configured instances
> under the different ids in the global service registry. So the above
> scenario should not be a problem.

Great!

> Now, in any case, we can't keep the scheme for component lookup that I
> have implemented. So we need something different. And if you don't
> like the OSGi inspired that I would like to go for, we need other
> suggestions.

If the scenario where we have several implementations of a block
interface (e.g. skin) and several instances of a given block (e.g.
CSS-Skin) with different configurations can be handled with a flat
central registry, then I'm totally fine with it. Go for it!

Sylvain