cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Update to the Servlet API
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:37:46 GMT
Upayavira wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Upayavira wrote:

>>> A mock sounds like a _much_ better way!
>>>

>> Mocking a 4-year old specification. This is soooo dinosaurish in this
>> web 2.0 world...
>>

> Hmm. If the whole spec is required, I can see where Jean-Baptiste is
> coming from. We could extend the build process to use servlet 2.3 for
> compilation, but keep the app running with servlet 2.2. Would that
> actually cause any backwards compatability issues?

Applications aren't running with the servlet.jar that _we_ provide, as
the servlet API is something that is implemented, and therefore
provided, by the servlet engine.

So our servlet.jar is useful *only* for compilation, and the only
backwards compatibility issue that can happen is when the optional
2.3-specific features are used when Cocoon runs on a servlet engine that
implements servlet 2.2.

If we look at Tomcat, that means using Tomcat 3.3. Are there some people
around using Cocoon 2.1.x on Tomcat 3.3?

Sylvain