cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [blocks] Changing component strategy
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:45:24 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote
>
>> WDYT?
>>

> I'm not sure if a global registry really works. What happens if I want
> to use a block twice but with different configurations? Can this be handled?

Yep. How do we (can we) implement the classical scenario that's been
considered for blocks, i.e. the skinning with a "multi-skin" that
delegates to other skin blocks.

In that scenario, application blocks depend on a block implementing the
"skin" contract, and the implementation chooses the actual skin block to
be used depending on some condition (user, time, host, whatever). That
means we'll have 3 implementations of the "skin" block interface in the
system, and possibly have several different instances of the e.g.
"myCorporateSkin" block with different configurations (color,
stylesheets, etc).

Sylvain