cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Rich Server Platform
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:47:21 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> There is ongoing work at Eclipse to make the Eclipse OSGi framework
>> (Equinox) run within a setvlet container. I just read an interesting
>> article about it: http://www.infonoia.com/en/content.jsp?d=inf.05.07
>>
>> "The Eclipse incubator Equinox has worked it out: it looks like with
>> Eclipse 3.2 and it's underlying OSGi services, you will be able to
>> create plug-ins that deploy to a servlet container."
>>
>> "Is this the next big thing? I think so. I call this RSP(TM), for
>> "Rich Server Platform(TM)". RSP alludes to RCP. It might be much
>> bigger than RCP."
>>
>> "I think that this is a disruptive technology."
>>
>> So this will be a platform where we can deploy our Cocoon blocks.
>

> Yep, interesting article. But AFAIU, it relies not only on OSGi but
> also on Eclipse's specific extension point feature. It would be
> interesting to see if that feature is or can be independent of the
> container part of Equinox

AFAIU, the extension point feature is factored out from Equinox.I have
the impression that the extension point is considered leagacy and that
Eclipse will move towards using OSGi services in the longer perspective.
So I don't think that they are going to make extension points the sole
extension mechanism in development in the "RSP" area.

I haven't looked at how the demo is setup, but I know from the Equinox
list that there is a incubator project
http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/incubator/server/ that works with getting
Equinox to work within servlet contatiners.

> to avoid being locked-in by a specific implementation of the OSGi
> container (IOW, be able to use Felix).

Absolutely.

/Daniel