cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: Block deployment: working with blocks from a user's point of view
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:22:06 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
>> In Reinhards document it is META-INF/block.xml on the Wiki it's
>> COB-INF/block.xml. So we need to make a decision:-)
>
> Please use META-INF/block.xml, AFAIK we agreed on making our blocks
> valid JAR files.

Any zip file with jar extension and /META-INF/MANIFEST.MF entry is valid jar
file. Presence of COB-INF can not make jar file invalid.

> The skeleton in my tutorial should be compiled and
> packaged to an archive having following content:
>
> /JAR-FILE-ROOT
>  +-com
>  | +-mycompany
>  |   +-blocks
>  |     +-myblock
>  |       +-MyCocoonAction.class
>  +-META-INF
>  | +-block.xml
>  |   +-com
>  |   +-mycompany
>  |     +-blocks
>  |       +-myblock
>  |         +-pom.xml
>  +-cocoon-app
>    +-sitemap.xmap
>    +-test.xml

Please move block resource files (xmap, xml, etc) into COCOON-INF, or COB-INF,
or some such directory, so that:

  a) It is more prominent that these files are not part of
     'cocoon-app' Java package

  b) It is more consistent with other J2EE jars (APP-INF, WEB-INF)

  c) Naming conflict (when user has cocoon-app package) is impossible

  d) Class loader can be configured to filter out our FOO-INF directory

> If we follow the default Maven directory structure as outlined in my
> tutorial, the archive will be created automatically for us.
>
>>> Now to answer your question ;) the position of the .xconf of a block
>>> is defined in the components element of block.xml.
>>

>> Ok, looking at [1] it is defined in the block.xconf file, which is
>> located in COB-INF (or WEB-INF or META-INF respectively). Is that
>> still correct?
>
> I'm not sure where block.xconf should go to. I'd put it under cocoon-app
> and not under META-INF. WDOT?

META-INF is fine, I think.

Vadim