cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: Block deployment: working with blocks from a user's point of view
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:10:49 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> Agree about not using Castor for the blocks framework. On the same
>> time it would be better to have a common model, but I don't know how
>> to best achieve that.
>
> Yes, I was also thinking about this. The best (or even better)
> alternative istXMLBeans but that's also far from being light-weight. ...
> and JAXB20 requires Java5.
>
>> And maybe there is so little in common for the needs in the blocks fw
>> and the deployer so that it isn't worthwhile.
>
> Yes, I came to this conclusion. AFAIU the blocks framework only needs
> read access to block.xml and wiring.xml as by design Cocoon should never
> write into these files. If you want to cut the Avalon dependencies (IIRC
> you use the ConfigurationBuilder), I would investigate Commons Digester.
>
> But it also comes with a couple of dependencies: commons-beanutils,
> commons-logging and commons-collections ... especially the
> commons-logging dependency is worring me ...

Digester works good for me, I'm using it on several projects. It's lightweight
enough, powerful enough for most scenarios, and all dependencies are already
shipped with Cocoon anyway.

Commons-logging is used in many places, including tomcat itself, so I don't see
how digester depending on commons-logging makes situation worse - it simply does
not change anything at that point, imho.

Vadim