cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Block deployment: working with blocks from a user's point of view
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:28:01 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Agree about not using Castor for the blocks framework. On the same time
> it would be better to have a common model, but I don't know how to best
> achieve that.

Yes, I was also thinking about this. The best (or even better) alternative
istXMLBeans but that's also far from being light-weight. ... and JAXB20 requires
Java5.

> And maybe there is so little in common for the needs in
> the blocks fw and the deployer so that it isn't worthwhile.

Yes, I came to this conclusion. AFAIU the blocks framework only needs read
access to block.xml and wiring.xml as by design Cocoon should never write into
these files. If you want to cut the Avalon dependencies (IIRC you use the
ConfigurationBuilder), I would investigate Commons Digester.

But it also comes with a couple of dependencies: commons-beanutils,
commons-logging and commons-collections ... especially the commons-logging
dependency is worring me ...

Does anybody know of some better alternative?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc