cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: svn commit: r367382 - in /cocoon/trunk/lib: core/jetty-jmx-5.1.8.jar core/mx4j-3.0.1.jar core/mx4j-jmx-3.0.1.jar jars.xml
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:27:04 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> --- Leszek Gawron <lgawron@mobilebox.pl> schrieb:
>
>>Yes I would like to deploy cocoon jars to my own
>>repo. I do not want to
>>rely on snapshots held at cvs.apache.org because
>>they might simply be
>>deleted (they're snapshots after all).
>

> Is it your intention not to use "mvn install"? This
> goal puts the project artifact into your local Maven
> repository.
Think of company with over a dozen programmers and 50+ cocoon based
project.  You want your cocoon jars out of every project so you either
create a separate project and a build system (as I did) or you hope
maven will sort things out and create a company wide repository.

For example I am adding jx:atribute support to ctemplate. I build a
block snapshot and want to use it in production (most cocoon blocks are
stable enough to use them in snapshoted version). So now I not only want
the cocoon-template.jar residing in my local repo (which is trivial with
mvn install) but I also want to deploy it to company's repository so
every project may now reference it.

I do not like Giacomo's proposal: syncing snapshots from cvs.apache.org
does not give me control of what I am really holding in the repository.

If I build and deploy a snapshot myself after a year I have 5-10
snapshots all verified to be working. My cocoon newbie developers won't
make a mistake when choosing good binaries. If I just synced
cvs.apache.org I will have hundreds of snapshots not really knowing
which ones are working properly.

For me the best solution would be to provide my own repository in
setting.xml file and then when building cocoon do:

mvn -Dtake.precedence.for.deploy.configuration.from.settings.xml deploy
:)

same way I can have lots of OSS projects patched for my needs deploying
snapshots to company repo waiting for patches to get incorporated into
main sources and released.