cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Flat Layout and forms block?
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:51:16 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> We have four or five blocks, e.g. the forms block, where we currently
> use the same version for 2.1.x and 2.2. I guess with the new flat layout
> this won't work anymore.
> Now I think we should start to use two different versions for those
> blocks as well and really regard 2.1.x as maintenance branch, so even
> new changes to the forms block should only go into the 2.2.x branch.

I'm strongly against that.

I was away for a few days and try to catch up the mail flood about
versioning/flattening and I'm still a bit lost. However, I spent *days*
merging branches of the forms block, sometimes having hard times
figuring out what was the correct version, resolving merge conflicts,
etc. I don't want to have to handle this hassle again.

Also, considering 2.1.x as a maintenance branch is not an option, as
CForms still has to evolve before 2.2 is out.

Now I understand that m10n may require different directory layout than
what is in the 2.1 branch and it it may therefore be difficult to have
the whole block shared between with 2.1.

So my suggestion (but again I haven't catched up on the m10n stuff) is
to have svn:externals in the 2.1 branch for forms/java and
forms/samples. The other files in the block are more related to the
configuration and build system and it's therefore OK to have different
things in the different branches.

Sylvain