cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Versioning of blocks
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:55:05 GMT
Giacomo Pati skrev:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> No need to branch block A, B and C. With maven all dependencies are
>> declared in the POM. And when releasing a block or a set of block we
>> should require that they depend on other released blocks. So the
>> core-2.2 will have explicit dependencies on block-1.0 etc that are
>> available in the repository.
>

> Hmm.. I though the core will be the one with the less dependencies at
> all. Are the dependencies you wrote above manifested in the pom for a
> release?

My last sentence doesn't make any sense, ignore it. The core will of
course have least dependencies.

For the dependency numbers in the release process see:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-releasing.html.

Under development you give your artifacts name ending with "-SNAPSHOT",
e.g. cocoon-core-2.2.1-SNAPSHOT, and if you want to depend on the latest
snapshot of other projects you give them snapshot sufixes as well.
During release a copy of the POM will be created where the snapshot
suffixes are removed.

So in the above example you would need to update the POMs of block A, B
and C if they depend on cocoon-core-2.2.0 and you want them to depend
explcitly on cocoon-core-2.2.1 instead.

As mentioned in another mail Maven will chose cocoon-core-2.2.1 if you
compile together blocks that depend on cocoon-core 2.2.0 and 2.2.1.

I tried to find info in the Maven docu about if one can be less explicit
about version number and depend on e.g. cocoon-core-2.2 meaning that one
would like the latest cocoon-core-2.2.x, anybody know if something like
this is available?

/Daniel