cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: Splitting core
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 20:00:19 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> With the M2 build and the flat layout in place it is much easier to
> start to split our fat core into more manageable pieces, with well
> defined dependencies. I'd like to start working on that.
>
> As the dependencies must be one directed it is probably easiest to start
> from the beginning in the call chain so that would mean moving the
> CocoonServlet, CLI and the blocks framework to separate projects. The
> flowscript implementation of flow could also be moved to a separate
> project.
>
> So we would get the following new blocks:
>
> cocoon-servlet: servlet, servlet/multipart and environment/http.
>
> cocoon-cli: (or maybe cocoon-bean), Main, bean, environment/commandline
>
> cocoon-blocks-fw: blocks, BlockSource[Factory], BlockPathModule,
> BlockPropertyModule.
>
> cocoon-flowscript: components/flow/Javascript.
>
> In a later step we could even have:
>
> cocoon-sitemap
>
> cocoon-pipeline (or cocoon-sax-pipeline)
>
> There are many components that nothing else is dependent on in core that
> could be factored out.
>
> Now I'm completely aware that the above isn't that easy with the current
> core as there are some quite complicated dependencies. But the goal is
> to get a layered architecture, and we have to start somewhere. The idea
> is to start with the top layer and work down one layer at the time and
> discuss and solve dependency problems when we see them.
>
> AFACS, this can be a smooth and evolutionary process.

This is a great idea. Core split into several parts means:
1. a good basis to detect unwanted dependencies
2. code that is much clearer and simpler to understand (I often read on
the list that there is less than few that really get TreeProcessor)
3. it would be much easier to experiment in isolated areas
4. those few kB less in custom build and shorter startup times.

+1