cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [2.2] License handing
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 19:04:40 GMT
Jorg Heymans skrev:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>>>
>>I guess this question is common for all Apache projects using a Maven
>> repository, so it should be asked at the Maven list and possibly at
>>Legal, any taker?
>>
> i raised this on IRC a few months ago, and created a jira issue for it.
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAR-10

Wow, you are active everywhere!

>>The POM has a licence tag
>>http://maven.apache.org/maven-model/maven.html#class_license, if all
>>dependencies has this correctly defined (which they haven't) the
>>assembly plugin could at least in principle download all the licences
>> and make part of the distribution.
>>
>>A first step could be to define it for our own parent POM.
>
> Until something better is supported by maven, that would be a good first
> step yes.

I added

  <licenses>
    <license>
      <name>Apache License, Version 2.0</name>
      <url>http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt</url>
      <distribution>repo</distribution>
    </license>
  </licenses>

To the root POM, so that gives by inheritance all our artifacts a
machine readable license referens. If there is any support for it is of
course a different question.

> Alternatively just put all the licenses into a maven project
> and have our core depend on it.

That is probably the most realistic alternative for now. But it will be
a pain to keep track of the licenses for the transitive dependecies. And
if we have several distribution sizes we need different license packs
for them, so plugin support would be nice.

/Daniel