cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Versioning of blocks
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:07:29 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> You got it right.

Yuppie, thanks Daniel!

Ok, I think this can work and - as you already said - we should try this
out and see what happens. Sometimes I need a little bit more time to
understand everything :)

>                         --- o0o ---
>
> With M2 the directory structure of the SVN repository have much less
> importance as all dependencies are handles through POMs. You can as an
> example just check out trunk/cocoon-session-fw/cocoon-session-fw-sample
> and work on it independently. It will use the most current snapshots of
> cocoon-core and cocoon-session-fw from our snapshot repository.
Yes, and this is one of the great benefits. You can just check out the
block you want to work on and that's it.

> <SNIP/>
>
>                         --- o0o ---
>
> For the scenario you mentioned in an earlier mail where some but not all
> blocks in the trunk is compatible with the cocoon-core in trunk, only
> the ones that are compatible with core and compiles together are listed
> in the module list in the trunk level POM. The blocks that isn't
> compatible with the cocoon-core in trunk, just refer to an earlier
> version of cocoon-core in their dependency list, and possibly an earlier
> version of the parent POM.

Ok, yepp and as soon as the block works with the current version of
trunk it will be added to the main pom again. Fine.

> Now, this kind of problems mainly depend on the fact that we have weak
> contracts between blocks and between core and the rest of the blocks.
> And also because the core is far to "fat". With M2 it is much easier to
> handle build system and dependency issues. So we can start to split the
> core into much smaller parts and strenghten the contracts. By doing
> this, most of the issues with complicated and unclear interdependencies
> will disapear.

Hopefully :)

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de