cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <>
Subject Re: Versioning of blocks
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:04:37 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom schrieb:
> Carsten Ziegeler skrev:
>>Thanks to the great efforts of Jorg and others we now have a m10n setup
>>with the flattened layout. I hope this question is not stupid, but how
>>do we do different versioning of blocks now?
> We discussed it in some detail in
> Felix has recently moved to the same structure:
> They have discussed the structure in considerable detail and has IMO
> excelent reasons for the chosen structure.
Ok, I reread the thread, but from my understanding branches are not
really dealt with. Now, as soon as we separate things (which in fact we
have done now), branches will most like be unavoidable. For example, we
release 2.2 core, then every block can depend on core version 2.2. So
far no problem. Now, the core moves on to let's say 2.3 introducing new
things, removing deprecated stuff whatever. Now, it might make sense at
that time to decide to keep two versions of a block. One, for
maintenance, still depending on core v.2.2 - and the trunk of this
block, depending on the latest and greatest core.
I fail to see how this directly layout will solve this issues. I think
this layout assumes that always everything is using the latest versions.

And what about doing maintenance release for 2.2 once 2.3 is in
development? We still want to ship releases, let's say 2.2.3 containing
all blocks (for convenience) which fit to 2.2 and of course not to 2.3.
It might be that the layout convers all these issues, but currently I
don't see it, so if someone could please explain this here and please do
not point to some other threads. Or even better, perhaps putting this
into a howto/faq document would be even greater :)