cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [M10N] Time to finish
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:34:05 GMT
Jorg Heymans wrote:

>Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>

>>It is time to finish the Mavenization. Jorg, others, what is left to do?
>>We need a todo list so that we all can help finish it.
>>

>I've lined out the (IMO) outstanding stuff here [1].

Only the flattening seem to be necessary in a first step, the rest can
be done later.

>As said later in the thread, it depends on how far you want to take
>this. m2 has been able to compile and (somewhat) package core for months
>now.
>
>My hesitation in pushing this forward mainly lies in the fact that it's
>a change that affects *everybody*, and the less you know about maven the
>more you'll perceive yourself being affected. I thought that waiting a
>bit longer would give ppl more the chance to get up to speed with m2 in
>general.

Sometimes some pushing is necessary. Furthermore it seem like most of
the more active developers allready have done their hoework concerning
M2, and the rest will feel motivated when we switch ;)

>>Jorg, you did some experimentation with flattening the structure, what
>>was the result?
>>

>It makes it much easier to manage, maintain and oversee the maven build
>process. The experiment was very positive, you can still check out the
>flat layout in the whiteboard and play around with it [2]. The benefits
>towards componentisation are well known and accepted by everyone. In
>short, i don't see any reason to keep the old structure.
>
>If someone gives me the green light (again)

Start a vote rigth away, you have my +1.

> and people are not afraid of
>a bit of a bumpy ride in trunk for a while then I can start flattening
>trunk *today* (as in __now__). Core, tests, mocks and a few of the more
>used blocks are obvious candidates. We can decide about the blocks that
>are externalized from branch later. Ofcourse I'll document the "moving a
>block to the flat structure" process as well as i go along.

Great!

/Daniel