cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: I'm lost...could we have more README files?
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:18:25 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I've been trying to keep up with what's happening in the trunk,
> without being able to invest continuous time here currently, and I
> must admit that I'm lost in several areas.
>
> IMHO it's currently hard to find how to try out the following
> features/run modes/stuff:
>
> -Build with Maven
> -Blocks mode
> -JMX features
> -Development vs. deployment mode (IIRC Carsten has implemented
> something cool with properties)
> -OSGI mode
> -I might have forgotten other exciting stuff
>
> Would it be possible for people working in these areas to create short
> README files in the trunk, and keep them up to date when something
> happens in that area?
>
> There's already README.osgi,

And it actually worked when I tested it during ApacheCon ;)

> we could have README.maven, README.jmx, README.blockmode, etc..

The block mode is currently in a state of flux. You could use Cocoon in
blocks mode a month ago by running "./cocoon.sh blocks". That worked by
making the root Processor pluggable in the CocoonServlet and using the
BlocksManager instead of Cocoon.

To make that possible, I had to have a rather complicated initalization
sequence for the blocks. After the NG discussions I decided to simplify
the architecture by refactoring the block architecture so that the
BlocksManager becomes a top level servlet instead. And so that the
ServiceManager and Avalon context creation happen locally at the block
level instead of globaly.

This is ongoing work and currently the blockmode is only usable from the
test cases. But I hope to finish the refactoring soon and then I will
write a README.blocksmode.

/Daniel