cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Simplifying component handling
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 13:21:32 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Guys, remember the real-blocks container story? Two reasons led to the
>> choice of OSGi: there are existing implementations, and it stopped the
>> endless discussions about what the container API should be.
>>
>> We have exactly the same here. "why not this or that" and "I don't need
>> it but you can implement it" lead nowhere. NIH syndrome at work.
>> Cocoon's goal is not about containers, but about components. Cocoon was
>> one of the first component-oriented frameworks, but times have changed!
>>

> Yes, so why not throwing ECM++ away and use an existing container? We
> can provide an Avalon compatibility bridge for nearly any existing
> container.

Incidentally, I had just started to write a implementation of the Avalon
lifecycle as a Spring BeanFactory when you committed the Spring bridge.
The current bridge allows Spring to run in an Avalon container, whereas
what I had started was the other way around, i.e. an Avalon container
within Spring. Need to dig in my HD although I'm not sure I still have it...

> I don't want to build an own container in Cocoon, but
> currently using an existing one for the core has been veto'd several
> times, so we have to stick with ECM++.

What has been vetoed is turning ECM++ to a DI container, which is not
Cocoon's goals and allow confusing mixed models to develop components
(opposed to writing components _either_ the Avalon way _or_ the POJO way).

> But making this more useful is
> also veto'd. Hmm. And as we can't come up with a good solution (being it
> using an existing container or improving our own), we simply tell the
> users to use whatever they think is right - as we don't know it.

Uh? I don't follow you here.

Sylvain