cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Simplifying component handling
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:58:53 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>
>>> So I'm coming back to my idea, is anyone against adding constructor
>>> injection to ECM++ or at least make it pluggable so I can add it for my
>>> own projects? The change adds only a feature while maintaining 100%
>>> compatibility.
>>>
>> Why not setter injection?
>>
> Because I don't need it :) As you have seen in this thread there are
> many arguments about a "confusing" mechanism or "hack" or whatever. My
> opinion is that while constructor injection is a clean approach, setter
> injection might really be more confusion.
> But as I already said, if someone wants to add setter injection as well,
> I'm not against it.

Guys, remember the real-blocks container story? Two reasons led to the
choice of OSGi: there are existing implementations, and it stopped the
endless discussions about what the container API should be.

We have exactly the same here. "why not this or that" and "I don't need
it but you can implement it" lead nowhere. NIH syndrome at work.
Cocoon's goal is not about containers, but about components. Cocoon was
one of the first component-oriented frameworks, but times have changed!

Carsten, what's wrong with the Spring bridge?

Sylvain