cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Simplifying component handling
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 09:13:33 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> So I'm coming back to my idea, is anyone against adding constructor
> injection to ECM++ or at least make it pluggable so I can add it for my
> own projects? The change adds only a feature while maintaining 100%
> compatibility.

I have strong reservations about components using a mixed model (i.e.
dependency injection + Avalon interfaces), as these components will look
as "semi-POJOs" that bring some potential confusion about their lifecycle:
- is the component ready after the constructor has been called?
- what is the call order between setter-based injection and Avalon
lifecycle interfaces?
- what is the lifestyle of a POJO: thread safe, single threaded?

So although I'm all for a simplification of components and moving away
from Avalon, I'm strongly against using mixed models.

Now, do we need to make changes to ECM++ at all? Cocoon 2.2 allows the
integration of other containers such as Spring (Carsten, _you_ wrote
that!), so we just have to *use* what is already there, using a solid
existing container rather than a half-baked solution.

Sylvain