cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject Re: An entirely new beast
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 22:42:58 GMT

On Dec 6, 2005, at 2:31 PM, Upayavira wrote:

> This, it is _not_ Cocoon 3.0. It is something else.
>
> Thus, I agree with Sylvain that it should have a new name, but think
> that Raccoon is a bad one, as it is a play on Cocoon and could never
> really be the project's real name. Imagine it, "powered by Apache
> Cocoon
> Raccoon". Hmm.
>
> So, what I'd propose is we choose another name, and consider it to be a
> new subproject of Cocoon. A "new, exciting web development framework
> from the people that brought you Apache Cocoon".
>
> And, the existing Cocoon carries on as long as people want and need it.
> Maybe 3.0 could still be the OSGi version. It may well still bring huge
> benefits to those using the current generation of Cocoon.
>
> Thoughts?

If "it" is truly "something else", then I agree, it should have a new
name.

If, as someone has suggested, "it" should turn out no longer to be
Java-based, then it would definitely be "something else", of course.
If it's still Java, then I can't tell yet (but maybe others can).  If
it's like the difference between Cocoon 1 and Cocoon 2, then I think it
should still be "Cocoon".

—ml—