cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From BURGHARD √Čric <eburg...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.1.x - Build and deployment with Maven2
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 02:05:02 GMT

>> IMHO it's not worth writing much stuff for mavenizing 2.1.x, this is
>> coming in 2.2, very close to being ready IIUC.

It has already worked when ant and maven coexisted. Now it's in a kind of
stale state (priority is on the core, and blocks are no more constructed).
My app work with 2.2 but with old blocks. Now i have to wait not only to
the mavenization of the whole process, but for the migration of some blocks
(to the new structure) and for the plugin to deploy them too.

Regular jars and one plugin to construct the conf files look simpler to me,
and has the advantage to work in 2.1.x and 2.2 world (not to mention that
all the stuff is already written and quite well tested). No doubt that the
new blocks will add some value to cocoon, but i'm not so sure about the
fact that it's so closed to beeing ready (dicussions about using maven at
most or use an home made descriptor for blocks is just an illustration of
what i mean).

It would have been preferable IMHO to first switch to m2 and then change the
nature of blocks. With a clean m2 building process the new blocks look
uncessary to me, but perhaps the new structure will add some cool hot
pluguable features. But why things have to be again so complicated with
cocoon ?