cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Luca Morandini <lmorand...@ieee.org>
Subject Re: [RT][long] Cocoon 3.0: the necessary mutation
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:18:35 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Luca Morandini wrote:
>
>> Nevertheless, it is easier to build a tool around a declarative
>> language expressed as XML, than a procedural language expressed as...
>> a procedural programming language.
>
> I'm sorry, Luca, but I think that's BS.
<cut/>
> For example, do you think that if the java classes were expressed as XML
> statements that *declarative* describe their methods and variables and
> inner classes it would be easier to write a tool like Eclipse?

That I don't know, I've never seen the inner workings of Eclipse.

Let's just say that when something is written in XML (say, an UML model
expressed as XMI) I can fire up Xalan and beat the beast into submission
easily, if the same mopel was expressed as a set of Java classes...
hmmm... time for "man yacc" ?

Maybe it's just that I've worked with XML for too long, but I still like
the easy production/validation/transformation of vocabularies that comes
with it, and I'm scared a bit by the other approach.

Regards,

    Luca Morandini
www.lucamorandini.it