cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.2] Unable to start Cocoon with Win
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:26:41 GMT

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:25:48 +0100
> From: Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org>
> To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [2.2] Unable to start Cocoon with Win
>
> Giacomo Pati schrieb:
>>
>> Reading you mail again I think I now got what you try to say :-)
>>
>> A java class that simulates the cocoon.sh/cocoon.bat stuff, right? And a
>> cocoon.sh/cocoon.bat combo to just start that java class without the
>> hassle of the different toolset and env variable handlings those OS
>> have.
>>
> Yepp, that's what I meant :) (Yes, I was in a hurry...)
>
>> I have to think about it whether the jetty-start.jar can do that as
>> well. Give my some time to check it out.

Ok, I've checked whether the jetty-start.jar can help simplify the
cocoon.sh/cocoon.bat combo. I've come to the conclution that either the
jetty-start.jar nor our Loader class will be able to overcome the pain
to maintain 2 separate start scripts for the two main OS platforms. the
reason is simple.

There are some properties that NEED to be specified on the command
line anyway to be active:

- -Djava.endorsed.dirs...
- -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote...
- -Xdebug...

and some others, too.

So, simplifying with the help of the jetty-start.jar/Loader will only
able to cover properties specifyable during the run of a JXM. Sure one
can write a java class that spawns a new JVM thread/process but IMHO
that would not be very smart (2 JVM running just to configure one).

> Ok, great - I just tried the m2 plugin for jetty and it does not help us
> as it
> seems to use the projects classpath and not the jars from web-inf/lib.

Yes.

- --
Giacomo Pati