cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew Langham" <mlang...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [RT] The next shiny thing?
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 09:17:01 GMT

> No, the brand is not strong.
>
> Look around among people that have *not* used Cocoon and ask
> them what it is. Most of them will tell you "it's a
> publishing engine", or even "it's a tool to perform XSL
> transformations".
>
> What we have now and what we're building is much more than
> that, and IMO we won't be able to deliver this message with a
> name that has been associated for 6 years to "just" a
> publication engine, even if that "just" is already a lot.
>
> Struts has Shale which is a complete rewrite that learns from
> the past and looks into the future. I really think we should
> to the same. We're talking a new start, aiming at building a
> simple, clean and consistent platform. That deserves more
> than in a major revision number of a name that denotes
> something else in most people's mind.

I strongly disagree with this. And while I agree to most of the points being
discussed, I can't help but feel that is is a step too far.

And I also think the current discussion is missing something significant
(when compared to the first Cocoon steps). While only being able to quickly
read through all the discussions - if the best way is really for a clean
start:

Where is the vision?

Matthew