cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Max Pfingsthorn" <m.pfingsth...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: Cocoon NG vision: focusing on the primary functionality
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:26:56 GMT
Hi!

Very nice task :D

Here is my vision, given these constraints:

The next Cocoon should be boiled down to the basics most people need, and it would do what
Cocoon 2 does best: XML processing. However, it would also allow for a more application-oriented
(i.e. object oriented, not procedual or scripty) way of developing, using an MVC-based approach.
Having said this, the next Cocoon would consist of:
- Only POJOs (possibly shipping with some Dependency Injection based container, but being
_independent_ of it)
- Nice and consistent seperation of interfaces and implementations
  - e.g. sourceresolver, caching, "processor", etc.
  - also includes auxiliary services, like logging interfaces
- A flexible plugin model (possibly uses OSGI, but more for its classloading and class visibility
features)
  - plugins may provide new implementations of any interface in the core or other plugins
- Interfaces to processing implementations, plus core-ish plugins:
  - A similar pipeline (possibly pull-based) architecture as Cocoon 2 (only processing, not
sitemaps)
  - A new MVC architecture (with no limitations on the model by e.g. assumed persistence solutions)
- A generic sitemap api for the processing implementations (enables dynamic pipelines, and
a flexible sitemap language)
- An authentication architecture which integrates with the processing architecture
- A default servlet adapter for the Cocoon application

This would mean a very tiny, error-unprone core, easy extensions, independence of IoC containers
and their quirks, support for both great Cocoon 2 features plus new web-application oriented
features and more flexible authentication.
Also supports coding according to Marc's layers.

Just my very own vision.

max