cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Irv Salisbury <irv.salisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: where is the box?
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:57:48 GMT
What I write here is just one vote, but maybe others think the same.

For all of our enterprise projects we have done in Cocoon, if it hadn't been
Java, we wouldn't have been allowed to use it.  Our customers understand
Java and it is currently equated with enterprise.

Now, it is difficult enough to get enterprise customers to even allow Cocoon
as it is something they haven't heard of.  To me, adding in the fact that it
isn't written in Java only makes this worse.

I realize at one point in time Java suffered from this as well, as do all
new programming languages.  Just wanted to throw this out there.  It
certainly doesn't mean Ruby, or Python, or whatever won't be the next Java.

I can say that when connecting to other enterprise messaging systems, EAI,
etc, there are lots of mature Java solutions we have made use of from within
cocoon.  With our applications in cocoon, having the components in Java
allowed us to write custom transformers that used these third party apis.
For me, it was Java that is the strength of cocoon, not its weakness.

Irv