cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Supporting "conditional GET" in Cocoon
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:23:51 GMT
On 12/30/05, Sylvain Wallez <sylvain@apache.org> wrote:
> > Other issues that I'm going to dive into are redirects and cache
> > control. I'm afraid that if we want to make Cocoon into a well-behaved
> > participant in a Web 2.0 world, we have lots of work to do.
>
> Indeed. My impression is that this work is concentrated it two main
> locations: the http source for incoming streams, and the pipeline engine
> for outgoing streams where we must better handle etags and last-modified
> headers.

ETags shouldn't be too hard. What we basically need is a hash of some
sort on the cache key (you don't really want to use the key directly
for security reasons). What's needed, then, is some sort of
etag->cache key lookup (or even etag->cache lookup, or even use the
hash has the cache key and be done with it) and you should be set.

Last-modified stuff is a bit harder since the current cache works on
Validity objects and doesn't take modification time into account, but
then again it should be enough to augment the cache metadata with the
generation date and add some logic (I have something ongoing on my
hard drive) to handle the protocol headers.

All in all, I have no +1 big enough for the idea of a better behaved
Cocoon when it comes to HTTP.

Ciao,
--
Gianugo Rabellino