cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Roadmap for 2.2 [was Re: [RT] Ditching the environment abstraction]
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 02:10:08 GMT
On 12/13/05, Daniel Fagerstrom <danielf@nada.kth.se> wrote:
> I agree that the main focus must be to get a 2.2 release. So the
> question is what to do with the real blocks. They are currently rather
> close to the "specification", but we don't know if the specification is
> good enough without getting experience from the blocks.
>
> For ditching the environment abstraction, that should of course not
> block any releases. It can always be solved by making the change in a
> branch and merge it back when it works.

I tend to disagree. The environment abstraction is to me part of the
underlying public contracts users rely upon: changing contracts
between minor versions is borderline but acceptable given the
cost/benefit ratio, but it's out of question between revision. Having
2.2 with the old environment and, say, 2.2.1 with a new one seems like
breaking our versioning guidelines to me. I'd suggest we ditch it
altogether while we still have time.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino