cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <u....@pronetics.it>
Subject Re: Supporting "conditional GET" in Cocoon
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:21:22 GMT

Il giorno 30/dic/05, alle ore 16:09, Sylvain Wallez ha scritto:

>>> I don't understand why you need a ThreadLocal. Isn't a class
>>> member good enough?
>>
>> How would a class member work with multiple threads?
>
> I see. This is because the HttpSource is referenced by the
> HttpSourceValidity, right? Now the serialization problem shows that
> it may not the right approach. Hmm.... what about using an common
> class used both by the source and validity classes to hold the
> common information?

I was assuming that by "class member" you meant a static class
variable. That's where my doubts about multithreading arose.

>> This works for file: URLs but fails for http: URLs, which was
>> totally unexpected to me and the cause of much frustration.
>
> Weird. Don't we get an exception of some kind on 404?

For a file: source we get a ResourceNotFoundException, but for an
http: source we get a ProcessingException that wraps an IOException.

> Indeed. My impression is that this work is concentrated it two main
> locations: the http source for incoming streams, and the pipeline
> engine for outgoing streams where we must better handle etags and
> last-modified headers.

Right.

I'm going on vacation in a few minutes, and I don't think I'll be
able to contribute much to this discussion or code in the next days,
but I'll catch up when I'm back if this thread goes on.

	Happy New Year

		Ugo

--
Ugo Cei