cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.1.7 hang
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:52:49 GMT

Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> when
>> <bind-xml auto-naming="deriveByClass">
>> is used, Castor starts making up names and trying to load them.

>> I expect, when the resource pool is exceeded the class loader is
>> completely overstressed and the system comes to a grinding halt.  It
>> doesn't actually stop, but from then on it moves so slowly that it
>> might as well be dead.
>

> Hm, just to clarify, you suggest that if ClassLoader is repeatedly
> asked to load a lot of non-existing classes, it eventually slows down
> a lot?
>
> Hm, wouldn't it be a bug on ClassLoader part...

Class loading involves searching parent class loaders. If the class is
found most class loaders put it in a map so they don't have to get it
again.  Thus loading the same class over and over again should be pretty
cheap.  But they don't keep track of what classes they didn't find.  So
constantly looking for non-existant classes is going to be very
expensive.  Since it is done in a synchronized method it is going to
become a huge system bottleneck.