cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon hang in excalibur-pool
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:38:33 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> OK. I'm wondering if the real problem is simply that the getDocument
> method is completely synchronized?
> As far as pools go, I feel like a complete idiot.  See my comments below.
>
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Ralph Goers wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Vadim. I'm posting this back to the Cocoon list as it seems
>>> what you are telling me is that the problem is either with the
>>> XMLFileModule or with running out of components in the pool on the
>>> pipeline being invoked.
>>>
>>> What I am not clear on is what you are trying to tell me in the last
>>> paragraph.  Are you saying that the deadlock can be avoided by
>>> configuring the components being used in the target pipeline
>>> differently?
>>

>> I've not looked into pool source code yesterday to double check all
>> points myself. I'm suggesting you to check:
>>
>>   * What type of pool is really used
>

> Where is that specified?  I know you can specify what type of pipeline
> you want but where is the type of pool configured?

It is not a blocking pool, although the DataSourceComponent uses a
blocking pool.  If you run out of connections, it will block.
Everything else acts like a factory when over the limit.

>>   * Why it is blocking (I guessed it is blocking due to resource
>> exhaustion)
>

> My guess is that the requests are simply coming in faster than
> XMLFileModule is taking to release the lock.

That is a possibility--if the method being called is static or belongs
to a ThreadSafe component.

>   * If it's hard limiting pool - why it's not soft limiting pool
>
> Again - is that configured somewhere?

Unless you specifically set up a pool in your own component, it is soft
limited.