cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <>
Subject Re: Cocoon hang in excalibur-pool
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:11:42 GMT
OK. I'm wondering if the real problem is simply that the getDocument
method is completely synchronized?

As far as pools go, I feel like a complete idiot.  See my comments below.

Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:
>> Thanks Vadim. I'm posting this back to the Cocoon list as it seems
>> what you are telling me is that the problem is either with the
>> XMLFileModule or with running out of components in the pool on the
>> pipeline being invoked.
>> What I am not clear on is what you are trying to tell me in the last
>> paragraph.  Are you saying that the deadlock can be avoided by
>> configuring the components being used in the target pipeline
>> differently?
> I've not looked into pool source code yesterday to double check all
> points myself. I'm suggesting you to check:
>   * What type of pool is really used

Where is that specified?  I know you can specify what type of pipeline
you want but where is the type of pool configured?

>   * Why it is blocking (I guessed it is blocking due to resource
> exhaustion)

My guess is that the requests are simply coming in faster than
XMLFileModule is taking to release the lock.

>   * If it's hard limiting pool - why it's not soft limiting pool

Again - is that configured somewhere?

>   * Try increasing pipes pool size for a quick fix

I assume you mean on the components in the pipeline?  I've never seen a
reference before to pipelines themselves being pooled.

> Vadim

Thanks Vadim, and I apologize if some of these seem like really lame
questions to you.

View raw message