cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hochsteger <e9625...@student.tuwien.ac.at>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.2 - Build and deployment with Maven2
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:42:11 GMT

Jorg Heymans schrieb:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>> We also discussed the structure of projects as proposed by Jorg some
>> time ago
>> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=113102875010469&w=2).
>>
>> /my-block
>>      pom.xml
>>      /api
>>         pom.xml
>>      /impl
>>         pom.xml
>>      /samples
>>         pom.xml
>>
>> The (usual) dependencies are:
>>
>>  - impl depends on api (normal JAR dependency)
>>  - the sample block depends on the impl block
>>
>> Out of this we will get two blocks:
>>
>>  - my-block-block
>             ^^^^^^^^
>
> Don't you mean my-block-impl-block ?
>
> The main thing here is that we feel that api is not a "real" block (ie
> it won't have a block descriptor).
>
> impl is the thing people can actually use when building webapps.
>
> samples is just an "example" of how the impl block can be used in a
> webapp ie it demonstrates the blocks' capabilities. It is a real block
> on its own and has a block dependency (not a normal jar dependency) on
> impl.

But how would it be possible to say that the samples block depends on
any implementation which implements a certain API, like the roles are
used in Cocoon today?
For example, my-block-samples-block needs an XSL:FO processor but does
not depend on a concrete implementation (e.g. Xalan).

Taken your example then my-block-samples-block would depend on
my-block-block (assuming it would contain the API) - or am I missing
something?

> Jorg

Andreas