cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Ditching the environment abstraction
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:25:06 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>> Which makes actually two different abstractions for the same purpose,
>> and makes blocking the outputstream on our own abstraction useless,
>> as people can access it anyway.
>>
>> It would be better IMO to have a single abstraction, but _control_
>> how the outputstream is used, e.g. by allowing it to be fetched only
>> once.
>
> My understanding (maybe incorrectly) is that pipelines can start
> writing to the output stream and if an error occurs that stream can be
> abandoned in favor of a new one containing the error response. How
> would you propose that that be handled - acknowledging that you don't
> think that they should be in 2.2?

That's right, but only to the extent of what's buffered by the servlet
engine. This is implemented Environment.tryResetResponse().

So allowing it to be fetched only once may not be the right strategy,
but the fact is that the output stream _must_ be available and that we
_can_ control its use.

Sylvain