cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] Ditching the environment abstraction
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:26:51 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler skrev:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>>Look, Cocoons current messiness depends on a large amount of small
>>things. If we not are able to improve these areas one at a time Cocoon
>>will stay as messy as it is.
>>

> Sure, but I really think messiness is a very hard work here.

I know, but I'm volonter to do part of it, and think it is possible and
desirable to make Cocoon less monolithic.

> From a
> users perspective (= the average Cocoon developer), most of the
> "messiness" is hidden. She does not have to deal with how the tree
> processor works, or with implementing an own pipeline etc. All these
> interfaces and components should be well hidden to her.

I have heard quite a few users wanting Cocoon to be reusable in parts.
But beside that this is mainly a developer question. We are a handfull
people who dare to touch the core at all and most of us think it is a
pain to develop thing due to monolithic design and hard to understand
dependencies. This means that a large part of the developer community
feel a much to high threshold to join in improving Cocoon. Also it takes
a lot of fun away from us.

> But I'm not sure, if this incremental approach is working here.

If we block trying it, we will never know.

/Daniel