cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Roadmap for 2.2 [was Re: [RT] Ditching the environment abstraction]
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:09:08 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>> While I agree that it is OK to break compatibility to some degree
>> between 2.1 and 2.2, I think this is more of a change than I'd
>> really like to see between 2.1 and 2.2 as it will require
>> modifications to every Cocoon application.
>

> Either we allow such required modifications or we need to
> start the 3.0 thingy. That's exactly what all the fuzz is
> about - loosening contracts. Further keeping all the
> contracts is what kills.
>
> People ...let go a bit!

Sorry, I guess I need to be clearer. I don't believe you can
realistically "dump" the Request abstraction. I believe any attempt to
do that wouldn't work. This is because Cocoon cannot directly use the
"real" request object as we have extra methods and we cannot let the
application directly write to the "real" output buffer.  What this means
is that the existing Cocoon Request object will end up just implementing
javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest.  This is not necessarily a bad
thing as the Cocoon Request object could then be passed to many
functions that request an HttpServletRequest.  However, there will
probably still be cases where the container's HttpServletRequest will
still need to be obtained.