cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Ditching the environment abstraction
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:41:29 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> It seem like we all agree about that the Cocoon core need to be
> simplified, although we have different opinions about how to achieve
> it. IMO it can be done in steps by refactoring of the trunk.
>
> One of the complications with Cocoon is the environment abstraction:
> o.a.c.environment.Request, Response, Context etc. They are similar but
> not identical to the javax.servlet and javax.servlet.http interfaces,
> which means yet another thing to learn for the user. It also means
> that it becomes more complicated to use externally developed
> components, as these typically implement the servlet family of
> interfaces. Furthermore it leads to a more complicated setup process
> of Cocoon.
>
> So, do we need this extra layer of abstraction?

Yesterday evening, we had a discussion with some Struts people, and
interestingly enough, they wanted to know more about how we abstracted
the environment to define an abstraction layer in jakarta commons so
that people can develop their webapp modules and deploy them
transparently as portlets or servlets by using the proper implementation
of the abstraction.

So my opinion about ditching our abstraction is that, as we say in
France, it is urgent to wait. Along with the backwards compatibility
problems that ditching the abstraction in 2.2 may lead to, we should see
if that common abstraction comes to life and then consider using it.

Sylvain