cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Roadmap for 2.2 [was Re: [RT] Ditching the environment abstraction]
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:13:55 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

>I tend to disagree. The environment abstraction is to me part of the
>underlying public contracts users rely upon: changing contracts
>between minor versions is borderline but acceptable given the
>cost/benefit ratio, but it's out of question between revision. Having
>2.2 with the old environment and, say, 2.2.1 with a new one seems like
>breaking our versioning guidelines to me. I'd suggest we ditch it
>altogether while we still have time.
>
>Ciao,

While I agree that it is OK to break compatibility to some degree
between 2.1 and 2.2, I think this is more of a change than I'd really
like to see between 2.1 and 2.2 as it will require modifications to
every Cocoon application.  In addition, I'm still not clear as to where
the extra request methods would go.

Ralph