cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Roadmap for 2.2 [was Re: [RT] Ditching the environment abstraction]
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 03:37:26 GMT
Berin Loritsch skrev:
> Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>
>> On 12/13/05, Daniel Fagerstrom <danielf@nada.kth.se> wrote:
>>

>>> I agree that the main focus must be to get a 2.2 release. So the
>>> question is what to do with the real blocks. They are currently rather
>>> close to the "specification", but we don't know if the specification is
>>> good enough without getting experience from the blocks.
>>>
>>> For ditching the environment abstraction, that should of course not
>>> block any releases. It can always be solved by making the change in a
>>> branch and merge it back when it works.
>>>

>> I tend to disagree. The environment abstraction is to me part of the
>> underlying public contracts users rely upon: changing contracts
>> between minor versions is borderline but acceptable given the
>> cost/benefit ratio, but it's out of question between revision. Having
>> 2.2 with the old environment and, say, 2.2.1 with a new one seems like
>> breaking our versioning guidelines to me. I'd suggest we ditch it
>> altogether while we still have time.
>>
>> Ciao,
>>

> Just make sure it doesn't break anyone accidentally.

No risk, we will break peoples code intentionally ;)

More seriously, it was an RT, I wanted to hear what people think and if
there was any problems that I hadn't thought about. I will of course
cast a vote before commiting anything. We could possibly provide some
optional back compability mode that puts the environment abstraction
objects in the object model.

But I would suppose most users would be happy to get rid of this extra
complication.

/Daniel