cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] Ditching the environment abstraction
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2005 21:30:45 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler skrev:
> In general I agree with this - it makes learning Cocoon internal a
> little bit easier. But I think the current environment api is not our
> biggest problem.

We have had quite a few threads about our problems, so I'm not going to
try to find our biggest problem in this thread ;)

But one of our problems is that core is monolitic and hard to
understand.  And this in turn depends on many small complexities that
adds upp to overall complexity. One of these problems is th environment
abstraction, and that is a problem that I happen to be motivated to
atack now.

The reason for that is that I want to make the block architecture as
independent of Cocoon specifics as possible. And I want to use servlet
interfaces instead of our own, but this will require CLI to use servlet
interfaces to be able to use blocks. So I wanted to know the communities
  thoughts about this.

> Anyways, our current Request object has more
> functionality as the servlet request object, e.g. to get the sitemap
> prefix and sitemap uri and more important the request attribute handling
> for internal requests. How can we keep this functionality when switching
> to the servlet api?

We can either ave an own extension or better have an extra interface
that only contains the extension, then we can check if this extra
interface is used in the code. Also we seem to be heading towards making
controllers more of a first class citicen in Cocoon, and then we
shouldn't force people to handle sitemap specifics in the new controllers.

> And for me the most important question :) What is the suggested
> timeframe/version for this? Do you want to do this for 2.2?

It depends on the timeframe for 2.2 ;) I will be offline for the next
two weeks (kitesurfing in Mexico :) ) after that I would like to ditch
the enviroment abstraction ASAP.

So it sounds like 2.2.

/Daniel