cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From dave- <da...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: [RF] Chainsaws and Seeds
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:49:09 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> dave- wrote:
>
>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>>> Hmmm, this is a very valid point, I'll have to think about it some
>>> more. Hmm...
>>>
>> IMHO, it does not matter whether the graphs are right or wrong, I
>> think the web 2..0 movement has transcended the issue in any case.
>>
>> Model Based Architectures and Graphical interfaces have allowed far
>> less technical people access to complex environments.  I think,
>> although I am not absolutely positive, that a java/pipeline/sitemap
>> is a better base than perl/python upon which to build such systems.
>> It is for that reason I posted the following 2 visions in another
>> thread:
>>
>> As a first vision, I would like to see cocoon accessible to less
>> technical people.  This could be done with elegant simplicity and a
>> graphical interface.  Here is a good web 2.0 example
>> http://www.activegrid.com/what/applicationbuilder.php.
>>
>> As a second vision, artifacts created by the graphical interface
>> along with any written code could become the model from which
>> alternative implementation systems might be generated.  For example,
>> a model POJO could be implementationally persisted in various ways.
>> dave-
>

> Should not be this more a Lepido[1] concern?

Yes, it is currently a Lepido concern, but perhaps it should be a
general community concern.  I think the cocoon community should refocus
their vision to a model based architecture (MBA) as the single point to
align to.

A MBA would allow for concurrent competing implementation possibilities
rather than having to choose between them.  For example, the model could
be implemented  as a pure java implementation or as a java./javascript
implementation without having to choose between them..

I think Lepido would then refocus toward providing a graphical front end
to the model.