cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vision] Knowing When We are Done
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 07:36:02 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> In all the talks of redesign or not, there has been a recurring
> question as to the vision.  Sylvain has outlined some things that he
> would like to see, but they really don't constitute a vision.  They
> are a nice list of improvements, but they aren't a vision.  In my
> experience the best visions really don't have to do with features and
> improvements, but with what we expect to be able to do with Cocoon.
> We need to be able to put our vision statement in one or two
> paragraphs, and it needs to convey a little more than technology.
> Visions contain emotional content as well.
>
> There are two kinds of visions.  One is the kind that you use to
> attract users, "Oh, that's what I need and they approach things the
> way I expect".  That's the kind that ends up on the front page.  Then
> there's the kind of vision that explains how you think something
> should be done.  Kind of like a how-to that describes what _should_ be
> instead of what is the case.  It has to be something exciting,
> something that people can get behind.
>
> Now, whether we are talking about evolutionary change or revolutionary
> change, we need to have a common vision.  How else will we ensure the
> transition goes as smoothly as possible?  Good foundational principles
> of modern software development are just side issues.  Let's take a
> look at what we want Cocoon to be.  Below is my vision, which I hope
> starts discussion.  We can start consolditing the common points once
> people post their visions.  Let's gather the information, and then see
> if we can look at some commonalities and think a little outside the
> box to make as many of us happy as is practical.
>
> ----------------
> Berin's Vision
> ----------------
>
> I envision a Cocoon which takes its principle strengths in separation
> of concerns to make developing web applications easier.  Modern web
> applications provide machine-to-machine communications via web
> services and email as well as various views into the data.  I envision
> a Cocoon that makes Java look attractive again, proving that it is
> suited for the rapidly changing web environment.  I envision a Cocoon
> which avoids configuration where it is unnecessary, and instead
> employs easy to understand conventions.  I envision a Cocon that is
> able to be extended using standard Java mechanisms such as the JAR
> services approach.  I envision a Cocoon where I only have to learn
> Java and XML to be affective.  I see a Cocoon where testing is
> embraced, encouraged, and made easy.  I see a Cocoon where any
> errors/exceptions tell me exactly where the problem lies, down to the
> source code line--even if that source is not Java code.  I see a
> Cocoon where the Sitemap is not the preferred way to map URLs to
> generating content.  I see a cocoon where convention dictates the
> pipeline.
>
> A note about blocks:  while they *can* be helpful, they are not
> [...]

Oh yes, we are close.

To all the above, add the following: I envision a Cocoon where I can use
the power of the pipeline engine in almost every environment where there
is some XML data to be processed. I envision a Cocoon where people can
use a single unified scripting language for both the client and the
server. I envision a Cocoon where the expression used to access a given
data is the same everywhere. I envision a Cocoon where any change to a
source file, even Java, is instantly reflected in my application.

Sylvain