cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: An entirely new beast
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 05:56:24 GMT
Upayavira wrote:
> I've been thinking more about Sylvain's proposal and ideas. And would
> like to suggest a way to look at it and see how it fits into the context
> of what we already have.
>
> Sylvain is proposing something different, something that is likely to be
> almost entirely incompatible with the existing Cocoon. If it is almost
> entirely incompatible, how can we think of it as in some way being a
> _continuation_ of what we already have?
>
> This, it is _not_ Cocoon 3.0. It is something else.
>
> Thus, I agree with Sylvain that it should have a new name, but think
> that Raccoon is a bad one, as it is a play on Cocoon and could never
> really be the project's real name. Imagine it, "powered by Apache Cocoon
> Raccoon". Hmm.
>
> So, what I'd propose is we choose another name, and consider it to be a
> new subproject of Cocoon. A "new, exciting web development framework
> from the people that brought you Apache Cocoon".
>
> And, the existing Cocoon carries on as long as people want and need it.
> Maybe 3.0 could still be the OSGi version. It may well still bring huge
> benefits to those using the current generation of Cocoon.
>
> Thoughts? (Other than "oh no, not another naming discussion!")
>
> Regards, Upayavira
>
> (P.S. If people do agree, I'd say please refrain from providing possible
> names at the moment. We can discuss that later. For now, let's see if
> people agree with what I am suggesting).

Thanks!

Could we please stop to throw around version numbers? We don't even have a
*common* vision. We don't know anything about compatibility, about the base
technologogy, etc.

When we know what we have created, then there is time enough for finding a name
and a version number.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc