cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.2 - Build and deployment with Maven2
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:43:20 GMT
Jorg Heymans wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>>> What do you think about moving block dependecy handling from
>>> block.xml to pom.xml? It means reduced flexibilty as block
>>> dependencies becomes
>

> IIUC, the dependency handling discussed here is the deploy-time
> dependency handling, thus only relevant for the deployer?
>
> In that case if we have something like
>
> <dependency>
>     <artifactId>myBlock</artifactId>
>     <groupId>org.apache.cocoon.blocks</groupId>
>     <version>1.2alpha</version>
> </dependency>
>
> then the deployer could check for all declared dependencies with groupId
> "org.apache.cocoon.blocks" and treat them as "block" dependencies. There
> are other ways to distinguish between dependencies in maven, but this
> would be the easiest initially i think.
>
>>> dependencies we can add it later. There would be a need to give the
>>> dependencies POM unique ids that can be used in the block protocol and
>

> not sure on how to best solve this, i'll give it some thought.

Today, Jorg and I had a long chat about this. In short, we failed to find a
solution that works with Maven 2 as it is today. The problem is that Cocoon
block requirements have a different purpose than Maven 2 dependencies. Cocoon
block requirements desribe what a block needs to run while Maven 2 dependencies
describe what a project needs to compile. Additionally we want to describe our
dependencies as contracts and not as direct dependencies to a JAR.

In our opinion there are two possible options:

  A) We talk with the Maven guys whether there is some way to add our Cocoon
     specific information to a dependency description.

  B) We use block.xml.

I'm in favour of B) as

  - we don't bend Maven to something which it wasn't created for
  - we shouldn't force everybody to use Maven just as we are so
    exited about it
  - it doesn't tie Cocoon unnecessarily to Maven

Of course we can provide a Maven goal that checks if block.xml and pom.xml
describe the same dependencies.

Maybe some of you guys find some time to talk about this with the Maven folks at
the ApacheCon. Maybe they see a simple solution for our problem.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc