cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The next shiny thing?
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 09:23:28 GMT
Matthew Langham wrote:
>> No, the brand is not strong.
>>
>> Look around among people that have *not* used Cocoon and ask
>> them what it is. Most of them will tell you "it's a
>> publishing engine", or even "it's a tool to perform XSL
>> transformations".
>>
>> What we have now and what we're building is much more than
>> that, and IMO we won't be able to deliver this message with a
>> name that has been associated for 6 years to "just" a
>> publication engine, even if that "just" is already a lot.
>>
>> Struts has Shale which is a complete rewrite that learns from
>> the past and looks into the future. I really think we should
>> to the same. We're talking a new start, aiming at building a
>> simple, clean and consistent platform. That deserves more
>> than in a major revision number of a name that denotes
>> something else in most people's mind.
>>

> I strongly disagree with this. And while I agree to most of the points being
> discussed, I can't help but feel that is is a step too far.
>
> And I also think the current discussion is missing something significant
> (when compared to the first Cocoon steps). While only being able to quickly
> read through all the discussions - if the best way is really for a clean
> start:
>
> Where is the vision?

It's being built in this thread, and I started aggregating it on
Daisy[1]. Still very embryonic, but I will spend time on it.

Now you're right: let's forget this naming issue, even if I really
consider it as being important, and concentrate on what it we want to build.

Sylvain

[1] http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/test/g1/792.html