cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The next shiny thing?
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 08:59:40 GMT
Marc Portier wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:

<snip/>
>> Please don't. Cocoon is the name
> +1, same opinion here
> the brand is strong enough, and can cope with major release numbers that indicate we
had serious new insights

No, the brand is not strong.

Look around among people that have *not* used Cocoon and ask them what
it is. Most of them will tell you "it's a publishing engine", or even
"it's a tool to perform XSL transformations".

What we have now and what we're building is much more than that, and IMO
we won't be able to deliver this message with a name that has been
associated for 6 years to "just" a publication engine, even if that
"just" is already a lot.

Struts has Shale which is a complete rewrite that learns from the past
and looks into the future. I really think we should to the same. We're
talking a new start, aiming at building a simple, clean and consistent
platform. That deserves more than in a major revision number of a name
that denotes something else in most people's mind.

Sylvain