cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: 2.2 vs 3.0, or 2.2 then 3.0?
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:39:44 GMT
hepabolu wrote:

> More important I think is not only defining the "vision of Cocoon 3.0"
> as precisely as possible (so all jumping up and down now, know exactly
> where to jump in), and coming up with a roadmap, but also to try and
> define/write conversion tools (however simple) almost from the
> beginning that can ease the transition from 2.1/2.2 to 3.0. If the
> tedious 60% can be done automatically, it shows the current user base
> they are not abandoned.
>
> AND PLEASE TAKE THE DOCUMENTATION INTO ACCOUNT! However rudimentary,
> write something, give an example and make sure the docs stay up-to-date.

I agree.  I've done my part with 2.0/2.2 documentation.  I've done my
part with Avalon documentation.

I'd like to point out that there are a couple levels of documentation:

1) Unit Tests
2) Formal Docs

Now, I think it is reasonable to have the average developer to do Unit
Test documentation.  IOW, the unit tests are your first example of how
something is used.  Formal docs require some skills that many developers
don't have--esp. if English is their second language.  It's one thing to
understand how something works, it is quite another to describe it to
someone else.  It becomes even harder when you throw an unfamiliar
language into the mix.

It would be very helpful if we could all work together, those of us who
are good at documentation and those of us who are good at developing
solutions.