cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From hepabolu <hepab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 2.2 vs 3.0, or 2.2 then 3.0?
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:23:46 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> So, 2.2 = important, and 3.0 = important. Both.
>>
>> We need to avoid discussions, implications, emotions, etc that suggest
>> otherwise.
>>

> Right.  If any of that has gone on, I'm sure its unintentional.  If
> memory serves me correctly, Cocoon 2 was written as a branch, and
> Maintenance was happening on Cocoon 1 for a while.
>
> There did come a time when work stopped on Cocoon 1, but that was after
> Cocoon 2 was released.
>
> Basically, new/exciting stuff should go in Cocoon 3, and touch ups to
> Cocoon 2 until Cocoon 3 is ready for prime time.

Fine, but times might be much more hectic now with less people having
less time to contribute to either version. There is still the 2.1 branch
to maintain as well.
So I think that the time of maintaining 2 versions (actually 3) should
be as short as possible and that apart from the current Maven and blocks
nothing new should be added to 2.2, however exciting that may be.

More important I think is not only defining the "vision of Cocoon 3.0"
as precisely as possible (so all jumping up and down now, know exactly
where to jump in), and coming up with a roadmap, but also to try and
define/write conversion tools (however simple) almost from the beginning
that can ease the transition from 2.1/2.2 to 3.0. If the tedious 60% can
be done automatically, it shows the current user base they are not
abandoned.

AND PLEASE TAKE THE DOCUMENTATION INTO ACCOUNT! However rudimentary,
write something, give an example and make sure the docs stay up-to-date.

Just my 0.02€

Bye, Helma