cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RT][long] Cocoon 3.0: the necessary mutation
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:59:51 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> The main point is to have container-independent code as much as
> possible. Providing multiple container integration may not be a goal
> per se, but should not be made impossible. The main point is that the
> pipeline API should be embeddable in other environments.

I have no problem with being container independent, but we should only
provide one implementation.

>> By the way - I'm not interested in Cocoon being sexy. I'm interested
>> in seeing its adoption rate increase, which is a very different thing.
>

> You misunderstood what I said (or I used the wrong word). By "sexy" I
> mean appealing for users, because it makes things easy and fun. If
> that goal is achieved, adoption rate should increase. Being appealing
> for managers is a different thing as this more mean being either
> buzzword compliant or standards (at least defacto ones) compliant.

A Ferrari is sexy.  But it is highly impractical for use in commuting to
and from work or in transporting goods.  By saying a technology is sexy
it equates it in my mind with a Ferrari.  It looks great but probably
doesn't fit really well with the work that needs to be done.

On the other hand, you have a product like IntelliJ Idea.  I wouldn't
call it sexy. I'd call it smart.  It may not have a really fancy GUI but
it sure makes me productive. Yes, we should be able to create sexy web
sites with Cocoon, but Cocoon itself doesn't have to be sexy - just smart.

>> As to your sitemap changes, I think what you have in mind is right
>> on.  It wouldn't bother me if in 3.0 we have only javaflow and
>> flowscript for those who want to "roll their own" and webflow for
>> those who prefer a stateful flow.
>>
>> As for your comments on Ajax, I don't know if you read it but you
>> should take a look at this entry from Carsten's blog
>> http://www.osoco.org/archives/2005/10/index.html.
>

> Honestly, I think Ajax will radically change how we consider portals,
> not only technically in the way they are implemented, but by the
> relation users will have with the portal. Just have a look at
> http://www.google.com/ig to see what I mean.

It's a nice site, but it clearly isn't a portal.  Clicking on links
causes you to leave the website, which a portal usually wouldn't do. But
this discussion really has nothing to do with making Cocoon better.

Ralph